Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
Big Brothers Big Sisters is the oldest and largest youth mentoring organization in the United States. Trained professionals recruit, screen, match and support Big and Little Brothers and Sisters through a network of approximately 350 agencies in 5,000 communities throughout the country. For 20 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwest Arkansas has been working in the region to facilitate one-to-one mentoring relationships between caring adults and children.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters Vision is that all children achieve success in life.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters Mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that changes their lives for the better, forever. The children in the program either live in poverty, have an incarcerated parent, or lives in a single parent household, and very often a child qualifies on multiple accounts.
Board of Directors
Alex Aguila, Chair
Big Brothers Big Sisters one-to-one mentoring makes a huge difference for the youth it serves. Research consistently demonstrates that Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring helps at-risk youth overcome the many challenges they face. It has been shown that Little Brothers and Little Sisters are:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs;
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol;
- 52% less likely to skip school;
- 37% less likely to skip class;
- More confident in their schoolwork performance;
- Able to get along better with their families.
It costs $1,000 to create and monitor a match for the first year. All donations stay local to support children in Northwest Arkansas.
“Littles” enrolled in our program for more that 12 months indicated on a recent survey:
- 86% have an improved self-confidence.
- 81% have a better attitude towards school.
- 93% have stronger peer relationships.
- 72% have more trust in adults to help with problems.
- 83% have a better outlook on their future.