Lemonade Day in Northwest Arkansas
Lemonade Day is a fun experiential learning national program that teaches youth how to start, own and operate their own business – a lemonade stand. Lemonade Day is a program brought to the NWA region by Big Brothers Big Sisters NWA for the community to enjoy at no cost.
In 2018, more than 1,300 local kids participated in Lemonade Day. Elementary schools, scout troops, homeschoolers, youth clubs, individuals, friends, and families participated in this program! Each of our “matches” is encouraged to participate in this annual program. We are so grateful to our City Champions that serve as advocates for the program including Dick Trammel in Rogers, Alan Dranow in Bentonville, Kelly Syer in Springdale, Brett Amerine in Fayetteville, Mayor John Mark Turner in Siloam Springs, and our Regional Champion Ed Clifford.
Lemonade Day is giving back! Civic responsibility is a large part of Lemonade Day – participants are encouraged to “spend some, save some, and give some.” In fact, NWA Lemonade Day participants were awarded the Youth Philanthropy – Group Award at the regional National Philanthropy day in November, 2017 because of their support of local and national non-profits.
Get a Workbook and Start Your Business!
Each child that registers for Lemonade Day receives an Entrepreneur Workbook, printed or online. The goal is for them to work through all of the lessons with an adult to learn everything they would need to know in order to start their own business. The workbook teaches them lessons like creating budgets, setting profit-making goals, serving customers, repaying investors and giving back to the community. Along the way, they acquire skills in goal-setting, problem solving, and gain self-esteem critical for future success. In order to put these lessons into action, all children who have registered will open up their very own business (a lemonade stand) on the official Lemonade Day! This year it will be held on Saturday, May 5th. They keep all the money they make and are encouraged to spend some, save some and share some with community organizations in need.
Steps to becoming a Lemonade Day Superstar:
- Step 1: Find a Mentor so they can help you through the rest of the steps.
- Step 2: Visit nwa.lemonadeday.org
- Step 3: Packets become available March 28th! Ask your mentor to watch for an email about when/where to pick up your backpack and materials.
- Step 4: Begin your Lemonade Day Entrepreneur Workbook at least a month before Lemonade Day. Be sure to ask your mentor for help along the way!
- Step 5: Participate in one or more of the workshops, contests or other events.
- Step 6: Have your mentor check their email and check out nwa.lemonadeday.org for more tips, information and resources.
- Step 7: Make a grocery run for all your ingredients and supplies.
- Step 8: Make some healthy, delicious lemonade and set up your stand on Lemonade Day!
- Step 9: After Lemonade Day share your results with us by filling out the Business Results Form.
- Step 10: Come back and Share your Story with us.
- Step 11: Enjoy your new status: YOU ARE AN ENTREPRENEUR!
We are able to bring Lemonade Day to Northwest Arkansas due to the support we receive from our corporate and individual sponsors. Many thank to all of our 2018 generous sponsors and program partners! We are grateful to our VIP Reception hosts Kerry Robinson, Alan Dranow, & Al Dominguez, and to the Walmart Museum for hosting our VIP Reception in May.
To find out how you can sponsor Lemonade Day 2019, please contact Sarah Van Vleck at (479) 966 4366 ext. 203 or email email@example.com .